Monday, November 28, 2011

Angelina Jolie says being a funeral director was her backup career if Hollywood didn't work out.

Angelina Jolie arrives on the red carpet during the final night of the 17th Sarajevo film festival in Sarajevo in Sarajevo, Bosnia, on Saturday, July 30,2011 Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt have arrived in Bosnia's capital to take part in the closing ceremony of the eight-day Sarajevo Film Festival.Festival organizers said Saturday the actress will be receiving a special award during the surprise visit. Jolie has visited Bosnia last year several times as UNHCR ambassador and drew attention to the plight of 117,000 people who haven't able to return to their homes even though the Bosnia war ended 15 years ago.(AP Photo)
She's a stunning actress, activist and mother with a directorial debut later this year, but Angelina Jolie wasn't always so sure she'd come out on top.
On the off-chance that she didn't make it in Hollywood, however, Jolie had an unusual backup plan: To be a funeral director.
"It sounds like this very strange, eccentric, dark thing to do but in fact I lost my grandfather and was very upset with his funeral," she told Bob Simon in a "60 Minutes" interview. "How somebody passes and how family deals with this passing and what death is should be addressed in a different way.
"If this whole acting thing didn't work out that was going to be my path."
The "In the Land of Blood and Honey" director, 36, spoke about her dalliance with her dark side throughout the interview, explaining that her relationship with Brad Pitt had tamed it somewhat.
"I'm still a bad girl," she said. "I still have that side of me...it's just in its place now...it belongs to Brad. Or...our adventures."
If anything, she explained, she knows that she's lucky to have gotten past her dark phase.
"I went through heavy, darker times and I survived them," she said. "I didn't die young. So I am very lucky. There are other artists and people that didn't survive certain things."
She credits her kids - Maddox, Pax, Zahara, Shiloh, Knox and Vivienne - as a major source of normalcy in her otherwise chaotic life, and her mother, Marcheline Bertrand, as an inspiration.
"My mother was a full-time mother," she said, tearing up. "She didn't have much of her own career, her own life, her own experiences...everything was for her children.
"I will never be as good a mother as she was. She was just grace incarnate. She was the most generous, loving - she's better than me."